[Techtalk] Server Deployment

Jenn Vesperman jenn at anthill.echidna.id.au
Sat Jun 1 10:16:18 EST 2002

On Sat, 2002-06-01 at 07:47, James wrote:
> Question:
>
> We're deploying our new inhouse web based application suite in the Fall.
> The issue has come up in my head of how to deploy our servers.
>
> Do we really need a separate MySQL server (ie, separate web and SQL)?
> Right now, the development machine has Apache and MySQL on the same box.
> Does it really increase performance (or only under high loads)?  What
> are your thoughts of MySQL server replication?

If SQL and Apache are frequently trying to serve the same request (or
set of requests) & there are non-data-dependant elements in the request,
it probably WILL increase performance to add a separate machine - Apache
can receive the request, pass the request for data off to the other
machine while serving the non-DB stuff, receive the data and plug it in,
and serve the DB stuff.

If the machine is sufficiently loaded that Apache and SQL are both
trying to serve requests at the same time, it'd also help. Same reason.

Jenn V.

jenn at anthill.echidna.id.au     http://anthill.echidna.id.au/~jenn/