[Techtalk] On Perl

jennyw jennyw at dangerousideas.com
Sun Jul 28 10:35:36 EST 2002

On Sun, Jul 28, 2002 at 08:56:12PM +1000, Jenn Vesperman wrote:
> I can read C, python, or Java almost immediately, after having not done
> anything in any of them for months. Perl is the sort of thing you have
> to do constantly to remain fluent in. IMO.

I agree!  Perl has the interesting distinction of being easier to write
than to read.  Which is not to say that it couldn't be written in a way
that is easy to read; it just often isn't.

Also, the fact that you can have a variable called $foo, another called
@foo, and have them be unrelated kind of bothers me.  The eq v. == used to
throw me for a loop when I first started using perl, too.

Jen