[Techtalk] On Perl

gab gab at gorge.net
Sat Jul 27 20:11:26 EST 2002

On Fri, 2002-07-26 at 19:44, jennyw wrote:
> Of course, one of Perl's mottos is "there's more than one way to do it".
> This is something Perl people love and others (e.g. Python people) hate.
> ;-) This means there are endless permutations on how you could have
> written the code, and some people will be more partial to some versions.

This drove/drives me crazy and was a huge obstacle in my initial
learning of the language.  The last time I wrote a program before I
picked up perl was <mumble> years ago and it was in _fortran_.  It took
me a few months to get a grip on writing things in perl.

A book that helped me a lot was Elizabeth Castro's _Perl and CGI for the
World Wide Web_, even though I wasn't writing cgi.  The format is very
"friendly" and she sticks with pretty much the same style throughout the
book.

gabrielle