[Techtalk] Poll: who uses Linux in a business setting

Conor Daly conor.daly at oceanfree.net
Sat Jul 27 11:06:40 EST 2002

On Wed, Jul 24, 2002 at 11:17:36PM +0000 or so it is rumoured hereabouts,
Carla Schroder thought:
> Howdy,
>
> Just curious who actually uses Linux for work: for your own business, serving
> customers, anything beyond tinkering in your back bedroom. Show of hands,
> please.

MeToo! MeToo! MeToo!

Linux on desktop (though I have to use a W2k box for a GIS project I'm
involved in but part of that will be reasearching open source GIS
solutions for the company and guess what I plan to run those on!).  Many
of our in house services run on Linux / UNIX with linux boxes responsible
for (among others):

* Collection of weather observations from all over Ireland.
* comms with the WMO (World Meteorological Organisation) network
* standby weather modelling server (the main server is a 36 processor IBM)
* weather modelling research team desktops
* Forecasters' Weather model product display server
* various others...

OTOH, we suffer under the burden of an MS based email virus scanner which
we're presumed to need since we run MS Exchange virus server instead of a
proper mail server!

Conor (Irish Met Service)

Domestic Sysadmin :-)