[Techtalk] 802.11 # 2

Andrew showork at adelphia.net
Fri Jul 26 18:11:22 EST 2002

Hi All,

	Thank for the info. Here are a few more questions and some
clarification.

	I am looking to "hook-up" one Orange iMac without any  wires
available. Later maybe a Linux Mandrake box.
	For now my questions will concentrate on Linux. It appears I
can do netatalk over the "WiFi" if necessary.
	I use Mandrake 8.0. The only cpu/slot available is in a
Netatalk server that until now was hard wired only. It had one slot
that I filled with a Orinoco PCMCIA to PCI adapter and a Intel pro
wireless 2011 PCMCIA card. The PCMCIA card was recognized by the
kernel at boot apparently PCMCIA is built in to 2.4.3 Kernel.
	As yet I cannot find the card in "hard drake, networking
hardware" I would like to configure it. Right now I would be
"broadcasting" to nobody. One step at a time.

	Goal one; is to "find it" in GUI preferably, and configure it
to my LAN.

The Big Question!
	I need to know If a "access point" is a special hardware
requirement or *can my server act as an "access point," using the
available and installed PCI adapter and the Intel 2011 card*. I have
enough routers and to much hardware as it is. Budget is very tight,
plus buying a "access point" seems redundant. The server is a P150
w/64Mb.

--

	    Have a nice Day!,
		Andrew