[Techtalk] 802.11b

Andrew showork at adelphia.net
Wed Jul 24 21:13:40 EST 2002

Hi All,

	A orange iMac just moved into a space, a floor below me with
no wiring for ethernet, I need to connect it. I have one PCI slot
available on the netatalk file server, also on my shelf is a PCMCIA
card and adapter to PCI.  At this time, this server is the only
available hardware.

1.	This is my first foray into "WiFi". Is the PCMCIA and adapter
to PCI, all I need to start my "wireless network"?

2.	 I am a bit "foggy" on exactly what the orange iMac's needs
to connect to the above server using 802.

3.	I get the impression adding the 802 card to this server is
like by-passing my firewall. Looks to me like there are two issues,
one is the security of the WiFi and second, having two CPU's
connected that are not supposed to have access to the bulk of the
information on the server.

	Actually I am somewhat "foggy" about the whole thing, any
suggestions welcome. It was only a few months ago I got my first
Linux/netatalk anything working after a months long struggle. (Thanks
to netatalk-admin list help.)

	 The only hardware available is the P150 used as a netatalk
server. I can buy iMac stuff once I know what is needed, additional
PC/Linux hardware is coming in 3-4 weeks from now. It would be nice
to hook-up the iMac soon as possible (Yesterday).

	 Again any comments welcome.
--

	    Have a nice Day!,
		Andrew