[Techtalk] Architecture crossover trouble w RH7.2

Conor Daly conor.daly at oceanfree.net
Wed Jul 24 10:50:45 EST 2002

And it's not that much different architecture...

I'm building a server for someone but have only got a HD at present (I'll
be building the box itself later).  I installed RH7.2 onto this disk
running on an Intel Celeron processor.  Recently I moved the disk over to an
AMD based box (K6-2 chip) and it won't boot.  I get LILO, it starts
this indefinitely.  I booted from the AMD's own hd, copied its kernel and
initrd.img across to the server HD, added that to lilo and rebooted.  this
time the kernel boots, starts doing all its boot time stuff, gets to the
"Freeing unused kernel memory" message and freezes (It'll reboot on a
<CTRL><ALT><DEL>).  The next stage in a normal boot is "Running init" so
there must be something there.  It's not panicing "init not found" and a
diff on /sbin/init between each disk returns matching files.  I'm not sure
where to look next.  Any clue?

BTW, the kernels in question are the stock RH7.2 2.4.7-10 kernels on each
of the AMD and Intel disks.  Would it be simply a matter of "rpm -ivh
<correct_arch_kernel.rpm>" to install both kernels?

Conor

Domestic Sysadmin :-)