[Techtalk] Troubleshooting cron

Poppy sylph at cyber-dyne.com
Mon Jul 22 20:08:40 EST 2002

Well I'll be darned if you ain't jest right.

I guess it makes sense, in a way, the way this is set up.
My crontab file says (this is NOT the one I set up...)
# run-parts
01 * * * * root run-parts /etc/cron.hourly
02 4 * * * root run-parts /etc/cron.daily
22 4 * * 0 root run-parts /etc/cron.weekly
42 4 1 * * root run-parts /etc/cron.monthly

Isn't that just annoying. Have created shell script and stuck it in
cron.weekly... now I guess I wait and see what happens at 4:22 am on the
0 day each week (anyone know what a 0 here means?)

Hopefully, this should work. THanks  :)

--Poppy

On Mon, 2002-07-22 at 14:38, Hamster wrote:
> This is where it becomes fun.
>
> So you were right in the first place, its a cron prob and not a tripwire prob. But at least we have eliminated the obvious.
>
> Given that youre using mdk, what my tendency to do would be a fight on two fronts thing.
>
> 1) Test your entry in crontab by changing the command to something like: touch /root/test.
> That way you check the running of the cron job itself and any permission error problems.
>
> 2) Follow the mdk pattern of how it gets its cron jobs to run. If you have a look at /etc/crontab, it doesnt actually put the individual jobs in there. It separates out the individual jobs into various subdirs (cron.daily cron.weekly etc) and uses run-parts to actually call the individual jobs.
>
> What you might want to do is make a two line shell script
> ----
> #!/bin/bash
> tripwire --check etc
> -------
> and save it in the cron.daily folder.
>
> That way you are following a pattern of cronjob execution that you know works. You can make your new script have exactly the same permissions etc as the existing scripts in that dir.
>

> I know what I've just recommended will be viewed as heresay by the purists, cause its not the "done" way, but sometimes its just best to do as the distro does.
>
> I'm thinking there shouldnt be a problem with cron itself, otherwise youd be getting a host of other cron related errors if that was the case. (ie with logrotate and makewhatis)
>
> Hamster

Poppy,
Friend of the Penguin		-- sylph at cyber-dyne.com --
MY GEEK CODE BEGIN
GSS d s:+ a- C++ UL+++ P L++ E---- W++ N+ K? w+ O?>O M@ V- PS++ PE Y+
PGP- t-(+) 5++ X- R tv b++++ DI++++ D--- G e++ h! r% y?
Please make sure that you are sending to the correct address when you
reply
If you are using a mail client which blocks this information, right
click on the To: address, and view Properties.