[Techtalk] website overhaul/broken links

Megan Golding meggolding at yahoo.com
Mon Jul 22 14:57:23 EST 2002

--- Carla Schroder <carla at bratgrrl.com> wrote:
> How practical is it, when giving a large, complex Website a
> complete overhaul and re-design, to find a way to not break
> all the links? I'm getting tired of Web content being a moving
> target, I collect a bunch of bookmarks, and link to articles,
> and the damn things move, so I'm stuck with a flock of
> dead useless links.

Sometimes, timing on this list is impeccable! I maintain a web site
for my company and we just switched over to a new site design. Since
keeping an eye on the logs for the last few days, I've seen a lot of
hits to "old" pages on the site (pages that are no longer there).
Your post reminded me of the user perspective -- and all those 404
Not Found errors my users must be seeing.

So....I got to searching around and found Apache's mod_rewrite[1].
This "Swiss Army Knife of URL manipulation" should probably be my
best friend about now :)

Thanks, Carla!

Meg, happily reading docs on mod_rewrite

[1] http://httpd.apache.org/docs/mod/mod_rewrite.html