[Techtalk] Troubleshooting cron

Poppy sylph at cyber-dyne.com
Mon Jul 22 15:00:47 EST 2002

On Mon, 2002-07-22 at 12:55, Hamster wrote:
> ohhhh! that makes it interesting.
>
> So just to make sure I understand properly, tell me if the following statement is correct :)
>
> When you run the command from the command line, you get the email. WHen you run it from the cron job, you get no email???

Bingo. From the command line, I get the email... from cron, I get
nothing.

> Then if I have that right, then check the following: In your tripwire config file, make sure the variable MAILNOVIOLATIONS=true

Yep, it's there.
MAILNOVIOLATIONS       =true

Checked on a comment which wasn't sent to the list... tripwire IS
installed in one of root's paths.

> My only other question is, what distro are you running? If the above isnt the answer, then we will have a look at your cron thingy.
Mandrake 8.1.
Trying to think if I've upgraded or installed anything that might affect
cron, and I don't think so. While I have a newer kernel than what's
running, I'm not using it, so I'm still with the default for MDK 8.1
(2.4.8)

Thanks,
Poppy

--