[Techtalk] Hiding/redirecting console messages

Dana Sibera dana at jaime.com
Mon Jul 22 13:29:18 EST 2002

>> I have a mac Quadra 605 running debian - just ran through a bunch of
>> upgrades to Woody, but still running the 2.2.19 kernel for now.
>
> First, let me just say that you're cool.

I just like neat old stuff :). (oh and here - midwinter rural oz, -11
degrees *is* cool)

>> I've peeked into /etc/syslog.conf and found nothing turned on there
>> directing messages to console or ttys. The message does get directed to
>> /var/log/syslog and /var/log/kern.log.
>
> What you're looking for is klogd.  The man page will tell most of what
> you need to know ("man klogd" for our listeners) but to prevent -all-
> kernel messages from going to the console, you would edit (or create)
> /etc/conf/syslog and add a line like so:
>
> KLOGD_OPTIONS="-2 -c 0"

That looks to be just what I'm after - however as the Quadras ancient
drive died badly only a few hours ago I haven't yet tried it - but I'll
have to peek around at the whole logging system now I know part of it.
All the info in your reply is a brilliant start - much thanks!

> Whew.  That was long.

And insanely valuable - thanks again :)

dana
--