[Techtalk] Securely transferring files using scripts

Jenn Vesperman jenn at anthill.echidna.id.au
Mon Jul 22 12:53:38 EST 2002

On Mon, 2002-07-22 at 06:06, jennyw wrote:
> Thanks! This seems to be exactly the thing I was looking for!  I'll also
> look at /bin/false as Jenn suggested.  What's the diff between setting the
> shell to that as opposed to /dev/null?

About eight characters. :)

Seriously: there is no difference. All it means is 'a shell that is no
shell'.
Though /bin/false and /bin/true are executable, which means it probably
makes some sort of difference in the deep voodoo that Val, Akk and Alan
know and the rest of us see dimly. :)

Jenn V.

jenn at anthill.echidna.id.au     http://anthill.echidna.id.au/~jenn/