[Techtalk] telnet no longer working

Raven Alder raven at oneeyedcrow.net
Sun Jul 21 23:01:25 EST 2002

Heya --

Quoth Stephanie Maks (Sun, Jul 21, 2002 at 12:25:24PM -0400):
> I've got a curious problem that I haven't been able to figure out yet.
> Suddenly, I cannot telnet or ftp into one of my servers.  I can
> connect to it via other services or ping it just fine, and it can
> telnet or ftp out just fine....[snip] I've looked at /etc/inetd.conf
> and /etc/services and they are fine, nothing has been changed there.
> I think it might be a problem with /usr/sbin/tcpd since both telnet
> and ftp refer to that, but I'm stumped as to what the matter is.

	Check /etc/hosts.allow and /etc/hosts.deny and see if anything
in there has changed.  Are you running any scripts that automatically
update your hosts.allow and hosts.deny files?

	Also, if you have /etc/syslog.conf set up to log authentication
messages for you (something like this will log them to
/var/log/messages:

*.notice;kern.debug;lpr.info;mail.crit;news.err;auth.info
/var/log/messages

-- that's all one line there) you can check /var/log/messages and see if
there's any helpful information there about if/why the login requests
are being denied.

	The other thing it could be is firewalling.  But I suspect you
would know if you set that up.

Cheers,
Raven

"Unreal and inviting, inviting you to step in,
 And follow the path neverending.  You're now leaving imprints..."
  -- Siouxsie and the Banshees, "Red Over White"