[Techtalk] kppp 2.1.1 problem

Raven Alder raven at oneeyedcrow.net
Sun Jul 21 04:21:52 EST 2002

Heya --

Quoth kansas_kennedy at phreaker.net (Sun, Jul 21, 2002 at 01:27:24PM -0700):
> IN RHL 7.3 while dialing with kppp 2.1.1 I got this following message and
> it disconnects and denies to connect to the net.
>
> "Timeout expired while waiting for the PPP interface to come up"
>
> In tail -f /var/log/messages shows:
>
> pppd [2937] modprobe: can't locate module ppp0.
>
> The modem is in ttyS0 port.

	A) Has it ever worked before?

	B) What's in /etc/modules.conf?  Anything to do with ppp?
Particularly, I'm looking to see if there's something like

alias ppp0 ppp_generic

If there isn't, that may be your problem.  Try adding it and see if that
fixes things.

	You do have a kernel that supports ppp, right?  (If you have a
default-installed kernel I suspect you're okay there.

Cheers,
Raven

"Unreal and inviting, inviting you to step in,
 And follow the path neverending.  You're now leaving imprints..."
  -- Siouxsie and the Banshees, "Red Over White"