[Techtalk] Webmail?

jennyw jennyw at dangerousideas.com
Fri Jul 19 10:35:54 EST 2002

Watch out, though.  There are problems with Squirrelmail, especially if
you have large IMAP folders.  The problem is, unlike IMP, it tries to grab
the headers for all messages at once.  If you have 5,000+ messages (e.g.
mailing list archives), this is going to be a problem because it will time
out.  IMP (the Horde's Webmail project -- www.horde.org) is much smarter.
It will only grab the headers it needs to display (for example, 25 headers
to display a single page).

Of course, I stopped using Web mail altogether once I started using mutt
with ssh and putty more ... Granted, that's not going to help a lot at an
Internet kiosk, but then I've used them like 3 times ever.

Jen