[Techtalk] Do I send bug reports? If so, where?

Malcolm Tredinnick malcolm at commsecure.com.au
Fri Jul 19 14:06:37 EST 2002

On Thu, Jul 18, 2002 at 11:43:43PM -0400, caitlynmaire at earthlink.net wrote:
[...]
> Anyway, it took some doing to get this to run the way it's running.  I
> ran into two issues:
>
> 1) The RH 7.3 installer won't run on this box.  I had to upgrade each
> and every package manually, installing additional ones as I went to
> resolve dependency issues.  Yeah, it was a pain, but it worked.
>
> 2) XFree86 4.2.0 would hang my system randomly and quite frequently.  I
> downgraded to he 4.1 packages from RH 7.2 and that solved the problem.
>
> On issue #1, this system is below the minimum system requirements
> specified by Red Hat for 7.3.  It works fine.  Do I even bother
> submitting a bug report on the installer, which terminates on signal 11?
>  Will Red Hat even care on an old box like this?
>
> On issue #2, do I send a bug report to the XFree86 Project, Red Hat, or
> both?  Later Librettos (at least through the 70CT) did use the same C&T
> chipset, as did many Portege and Satellite models, albeit all older
> ones.  Again, would anyone care, or would they write it off as old tech?

My guess would be to skip the bug report for (1), since it's documented
as not being supported (and the reason that you document things as
unsupported is so that you don't have to deal with bug reports for
them).

For (2), I would at least report the bug to Red Hat (with the solution).
In my experience (working on a package that they distribute) from time
to time the Red Hat maintainer will send relevant bug reports to the
upstream maintainer after having checked that the problem is not due to
some Red Hat specific change.

Malcolm