[Techtalk] No INIT found yet can boot from floppy

BUNTER MATTHEW Matthew.Bunter at renaultvi.com
Tue Jul 9 11:08:00 EST 2002

--- Reçu de       VITEUR.BUNTERMA 04 72 96 57 77             09/07/02 11.08

All,

I tried this copying approach with no luck. So went back to original
settings in /etc/lilo.conf.

A df -k showed that root was pointing to the correct mount point. init
points to the initrd.2.4.7 whatever file so I presume that's correct (it's
how it is on my desktop which has the same partitioning layout if not the
same sizes). Funny that on the floppy the initrd file doesn't have the
kernel version extension nor is it the same size(?).

I haven't looked at /etc/fstab yet, nor have I checked /sbin/init. Will let
you know how I got on.

Rgs,

Matt

-

Date: Thu, 4 Jul 2002 13:13:48 +0200
Subject: Re: [Techtalk] No INIT found yet can boot from floppy

You should copy the initrd.img (or something) file from the floppy to the
/boot dir. Then you shold edit the grub startup and add a line like 'init =
/boot/initrd.img' or something. I cannot be concise because that's the
problem i've been having with a server but which is not any more accessible.
If you read the man page for grub (or grub.conf), you should get the syntax
right.

On Wednesday 03 July 2002 16:41, BUNTER MATTHEW wrote:
> --- Reçu de       VITEUR.BUNTERMA 04 72 96 57 77             03/07/02
16.41

> 2nd attempt.
>
> --- Reçu de       VITEUR.BUNTERMA 04 72 96 57 77             02/07/02
16.19

> Hiya,
>
> Just reinstalled RH7.2 with KDE onto my laptop. No probs with the install
> until rebooting when It comes up with a kernel panic saying no INIT found.
>
> Luckily I stuck to the instructions for once and made a boot disk. I can
> boot into Linux with no problems with the boot disk.
>
> So .... how do I fix it so that I can boot without the boot disk (without
> re-installing RH).
>
> Cheers in advance.
>
> Matt
>
> ---- 02/07/02 16.19 ---- Envoyé