[Techtalk] Linux on a laptop problem

coldfire rolick571 at duq.edu
Tue Jul 9 01:39:49 EST 2002

> As I read it, a partition other than swap, specifically for hibernation.
> But I might be wrong.

yeah, specifically, the "suspend to disk" feature requires a seperate
partition in order to save all data in the ram and video ram to the hard
disk.  this mode uses no battery power whatsoever when suspended.  if the
partition doesn't exist, it won't suspend. ;)

the other is the "suspend to memory" in which it powers down things like
the hard drive, lcd, etc. and only uses what battery power it needs to
sustain what's currently in the ram, etc.

coldie