[Techtalk] For the attention of Miriam

BUNTER MATTHEW Matthew.Bunter at renaultvi.com
Thu Jul 4 18:09:00 EST 2002

--- Reçu de       VITEUR.BUNTERMA 04 72 96 57 77             04/07/02 18.09       ------------------------------------------------

For the Attention of Miriam,

Sorry about this, I deleted the email of the woman who was interested in copyright stuff, licenses etc. Well I found a story
the other day and thought of her so wrote to the author for additional material. Below is what he came back with. Hope this
helps a bit.

Rgs,

Matt

Date: Wed, 3 Jul 2002 10:27:01 -0400
Subject: Re: regarding : Feeling the Heat in Redmond

I got some help from my colleague Lori MacVittie on this one. Lori provided me
with the following information:

First reference is the "supplemental" EULA for the .NET framework.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/dnnetdep/html/redisteula.asp

Most relevant piece of text in this document:
"NOTE: IF YOU DO NOT HAVE A VALID EULA FOR ANY "OS PRODUCT" (MICROSOFT
WINDOWS 98, WINDOWS ME, WINDOWS NT 4.0 (DESKTOP EDITION), WINDOWS 2000
OPERATING SYSTEM, WINDOWS XP PROFESSIONAL AND/OR WINDOWS XP HOME
EDITION), YOU ARE NOT AUTHORIZED TO INSTALL, COPY OR OTHERWISE USE THE
OS COMPONENTS AND YOU HAVE NO RIGHTS UNDER THIS SUPPLEMENTAL EULA."

This one is lengthy, but comprehensive:

http://www.microsoft.com/licensing/downloads/PUR.pdf

Of interest is the section on what you can and cannot do with
Development Tools, but the sections on "mandatory upgrades" and "data
gathering by MS and partners" was interesting as well.

The Mobile Internet Toolkit EULA (one of MANY links)

http://www.geeksworld.net/eula.htm

                      BUNTER MATTHEW
                      <Matthew.Bunter at ren         To:      rpreston at cmp.com
                      aultvi.com>                 cc:
                                                  bcc:
                      07/02/2002 09:42 AM         Subject: regarding : Feeling the Heat in Redmond

--- Reçu de       VITEUR.BUNTERMA 04 72 96 57 77             02/07/02 15.42

Rob,

I was wondering if you can give me some of the links to the license
specifications you mentioned for Microsoft, in particular where they say
you can't use MS tools to develop for another platform.

This is for a mailing list user who is writing a book about
copyrights/lefts and software patenting see www.copyleftmedia.org.uk for
details.

Regards,

Matt Bunter