[Techtalk] simple reference book on Linux

Sonja Krause-Harder skh at addcom.de
Thu Jan 31 12:26:28 EST 2002

On Wed, Jan 30, 2002 at 08:42:41PM -0600, Glenda R. Snodgrass wrote:
> Can anyone recommend a simple reference book on Linux?  My partner says

Linux in a nutshell, O'Reilly

Apart from quite comprehensive documentation of many commands and command
line tools, there's a beginner's guide where the most common commands are
listed and explained ordered by topics (communication, file management,
printing...). While not as complete as the respective man pages, I found
it much easier to read (and you can't take man pages with you to the
bathtub).

LPI certification in a nutshell, O'Reilly

Not as much information as the abovementioned, but more explanations.
Actually a preparation textbook for the LPI certifications (cf.
http://www.lpi.org/ ), but can be read as an introduction, and used as
reference book as well. Many examples, and the helpful feeling that
you're reading/learning just the stuff many professionals actually
find useful. Also covers essential stuff not found in man pages.

hth,

Sonja

(I do not receive any money from O'Reilly :-))