[Techtalk] Slow networking connection

Jenn Vesperman jenn at anthill.echidna.id.au
Thu Jan 31 10:28:27 EST 2002

On Thu, 2002-01-31 at 07:39, Jeff Dike wrote:

> It turned out to be that the laptop driver was acting as if the network
> was full-duplex, when in fact it was half-duplex.  I (still) don't understand
> what that means, except that my desktop error log filled up with complaints
> when it saw the laptop trying to communicate with it.

Full duplex: like a proper telephone. Both sides can 'speak'
simultaneously.
Half duplex: like most speakerphones. Only one side can speak at a time,
the others' data is lost.

For a more technical explanation, ask someone else. :) But this will do
for most people, I would imagine.

Jenn V.

jenn at anthill.echidna.id.au     http://anthill.echidna.id.au/~jenn/