[Techtalk] Re: [Newchix] help!

Katie katie at katie-and-rob.org
Wed Jan 30 10:03:38 EST 2002

On Sun, 27 Jan 2002 17:39:44 +0000, Telsa Gwynne said:
>  I wonder whether it occurred as a result of switching the box off
>  after it froze?

I wouldn't be surprised.  But it looks like my problem is more serious than
just a corrupted file
  Now, about half the time when I boot, I don't even get to the LILO prompt.
Instead, I get a
"DISK BOOT FAILURE, INSERT SYSTEM DISK AND PRESS ENTER" message and then the
system halts.  The
other half of the time, I get the LILO prompt, at which I can choose Linux and
get the libc.so.6
 error (and system halt) or I can choose Win2K, which will work for a few hours
at a time before
 I get a Blue Screen of Death and a reboot.

So, I think my hard drive is dying. :(

Katie