[Techtalk] Affordable rack/shelving mounts

Linda Laubenheimer ljl at rahul.net
Mon Jan 28 19:59:39 EST 2002

James wrote:

> It doesn't have to be a classic rackmount either.  It can be shelving.
> In fact we only have one thing that is supposed to be rackmounted, an
> eSniff (http://www.vericept.com/).  We just need something that isn't
> warping... And we have other computers we need to get off the floor,
> because we have the only server room in North America which floods
> occasionally.  I'll post pictures sometime.
>
> Any recommendations?

The best stuff I've seen that wasn't a real rack was metal wire shelving
where the shelves were heavy wire "mesh".  These were industrial shelves
suitable for putting heavy boxes of merchandise on - like 300# per shelf
or more.  While guerilla rack is sturdy, the shelves tend to be particle
board, and thus not provide the best ventilation.

Wire Shelving Examples:
http://www.buyrack.com/36_Deep_Wire.asp
http://www.buyrack.com/wire_stationary_shelving.asp
http://www.buyrack.com/wire_mobile_units.asp

The mobile units are a nifty idea if you have to... evacuate your server
room periodically ;)

					Linda
--
Linda J Laubenheimer - UNIX Geek, Sysadmin, Bibliophile and Iconoclast
http://www.modusvarious.net/ - consultants available