[Techtalk] Two Totally off-the wall Questions

David Merrill david at lupercalia.net
Sat Jan 26 01:14:35 EST 2002

On Fri, Jan 25, 2002 at 10:29:57PM -0500, James wrote:
> I do this actually.
>
> In fact, this email is going through a P90, with 96megs of RAM and a
> 540meg HD (461 for ext2).
>
> I run Debian on it.  I just did the absolute minimal install (No
> packages selected in the install).  I then just apt-getted the basics
> (ssh, exim was autoinstalled, pop3 server, bind).  Run with plenty of
> room.  I've had ~1200 emails sitting on the server waiting for me at
> times.
>
> Granted I'm a little tight on space at ~52 meg.  But I can always add a
> HD and mount it as /var/spool/mail.  And I actually just cleaned up my
> /usr/src and now have 112 meg free.  It is doable :)
>
> I think I'm going to take another one like this and put it on my
> production network as a snort sniffer.

Cool idea.

Also, you could always share some spool space by nfs from another
machine. I don't know if that will fit into your plans, but it's an
option, maybe.

--
David C. Merrill                         http://www.lupercalia.net
Linux Documentation Project                   david at lupercalia.net

He was warrior and mystic, ogre and saint, the fox and the innocent,
chivalrous, ruthless, less than a god, more than a man. There is no
measuring Muad'Dib's motives by ordinary standards. In the moment of his
triumph, he saw the death prepared fro him, yet he accepted the treachery.
Can you say he did this out of a sense of justice? Whose justice, then?
Remember, we speak now of the Muad'Dib who ordered battle drums made from
his enemies' skins, the Muad'Dib who denied the conventions of his ducal
past with a wave of his hand, saying merely, "I am the Kwisatz Haderach.
That is reason enough."
	-- from "Arrakis Awakening" by the Princess Irulan