[Techtalk] Laptop recommendations?

Lothan lothan at newsguy.com
Thu Jan 24 00:23:10 EST 2002

The company I work for just invested in a bunch of IBM Thinkpads and
they seem to be fairly decent. They've certainly been holding together
fairly well with rugged use. I especially like the 'button' mouse
sitting in the middle of the keyboard. They all run Windows 2000, but it
looks like it should be a piece of cake to install Linux. These don't
have modems, so I'm not sure if they come with yucky Winmodems or not.

I personally use a Dell Inspiron 8000 with a 15-inch display and love
it. The one drawback with my laptop is that it's not something you'd
want to lug around constantly -- it's fairly heavy and larger compared
to most laptops but it fits my needs perfectly. I decided to purchase
this particular model purely for performance reasons. I'm a programmer
and wanted something I could carry with me instead of being chained to a
desktop. My first 'upgrade' was to remove the floppy drive and install a
second battery and boost the memory to 256MB. (Dell wanted way too much
for additional memory so I picked up two 128MB notebook SIMMs for $30 at
Best Buy.) The batteries last about 6 hours. I have Windows XP, Project,
Visio, SQL Server and Visual Studio on one partition; the other is
Redhat Linux, MySQL and Apache. (I've yet to find anything that quite
comes close to Project and Visio for Linux, though I'm certainly open to
suggestions...) It has both the 'button' mouse in the keyboard and a
touchpad below the base and the keyboard is almost full-size.

A friend just purchased one of the new Dell notebooks that is absolutely
tiny. I instantly fell in love with it the first time I used it, but I
wouldn't want to use it everyday due to the small display.

One caveat here: I'm a complete fanatic of BIG displays... I want at
least 1024x768; preferably 1280x1024. I like having at least enough
space on the desktop to layout two or three applications simultaneously;
there's nothing quite like having database diagrams and component models
visible on the screen while whacking out code.