[Techtalk] Laptop recommendations? (was: Random: MS problem, Linux solution...)

James james at james-web.net
Wed Jan 23 13:15:41 EST 2002

I have a Compaq.  I hate it.  It is almost a year old and isn't holding
up well.  Replaced the floppy drive... And might have to replace the
battery, it doesn't seem to be able to hold a charge.

Also the NIC/modem combo is a Winmodem.  The company who makes it,
Conexion (or something), doesn't even support it beyond WinME.  Doesn't
detect on Win2k and WinXP managles it into working.  No driver for
Linux, even tho one was supposed to be released.  So I bought a NETGEAR
PCMCIA card.

My adopted sisters have IBM laptops (their dad works for IBM).  They
seem to like them, but they are just AIM+Solitare users, basically.

- James