[Techtalk] Keeping legal notices in Docbook.

Mary Gardiner linuxchix at puzzling.org
Mon Jan 21 17:22:57 EST 2002

Hi all,

Introduction: Docbook is an SGML/XML (think 'like HTML, used for
webpages') markup. It is used to markup FAQs, technical books, HOWTOs
and the like, and there are all kinds of tools to take the markup and
translate it into web pages or plain text, among other things. But there
are some things I can't seem to do...

I'm just learning Docbook for the Linuxchix FAQs. Everything is going
alright as far as compiling goes, but here's what I'd like to be able to
do:

 * Produce text without an HTML intermediate step. And will it include
   URLs? If not, is there any way to generate HTML contains the external
   URLs, but not any document internal URLs (since they're useless when
   you convert to text with links -dump anyway).

 * Is there any way to get jade/docbook.dsl to produce an output file
   named anything other than t1.html? jade's documentation is lying
   about the function of the -o flag as far as I can see, because no
   matter what I put there, t1.html it is!

 * Is there any way to force the output to contain the contents of any
   <legalnotice></legalnotice> tags? Jenn is using them in the FAQs, but
   they don't show up in the output, which is rather a nuisance. It
   would be nice to have text and HTML versions that actually include
   the licencing.

Any ideas?

-Mary.

--