[Techtalk] Kernel Stuff (was Re: Theory vs. practice)

Kai MacTane kmactane at GothPunk.com
Tue Jan 15 17:05:48 EST 2002

At 1/15/02 03:35 PM , Raven, corporate courtesan wrote:
>         Okay, I can see that that's bad.  Is there a way to quickly
>check which processes are freeing up resources rather than requesting
>them, and then assign a higher priority to those?  Something to the
>effect of "need $100, who's releasing $100?  You?  Up front!".

What would be really nice is if you could have two separate queues, one for
deposits and another for withdrawals. (Or, since banks also have the option
that you might need to other things, one "Express Lane" that's only for
people who are *only* performing a deposit, and any other operation means
you go to the normal line.)

Agg. The problem is, that would require two tellers. (And I *know* this
isn't what the kernel does in an SMP configuration! There are much better
uses for a whole CPU!)

>You could even do some sort of secondary categorization, such that if you
>had a Platinum account needing $100, and you had a Gold account waiting
>to deposit $100 and a Silver account waiting to deposit $100, that the
>Gold account would get priority over the silver even under the new
>"who's got $100" system.

Using two queues, you just order each queue independently the way you'd do
the one. But I'm still not sure if there's any way to implement plural
queues with only one CPU in this analogy. (Or maybe we're just trying to
push the analogy too far?)

                                                 --Kai MacTane
"Why can't I live a life for me?
  Why should I take the abuse that's served?
  Why can't they see they're just like me?
  I'm not the one that's so absurd!"
                                                 --Ministry,
                                                  "Every Day is
                                                   Halloween"