[Techtalk] Theory vs. practice

Kai MacTane kmactane at GothPunk.com
Mon Jan 14 17:23:39 EST 2002

At 1/14/02 03:32 PM , Malcolm& wrote:
>That's just plain scary. It explains some of the people I run into
>(I had someone complain about me using "big words" recently when asking
>what the options for doing some code migration were. I didn't know
>'refactoring' was a big word).

And this was at work, in the context of a tech project, from other tech
workers?

How stupid. The whole idea behind computing is that you work smarter, not
harder. How could someone get on your case for being smart?

That's the kind of behavior I'd expect from a jock or frat-boy, not a
computer engineer, coder, or other "knowledge worker".

                                                 --Kai MacTane
"And the Devil in a black dress watches over,
  My guardian angel walks away..."
                                                 --Sisters of Mercy,
                                                  "Temple of Love"