[Techtalk] crontab vs vi

Val Henson val at nmt.edu
Fri Jan 11 18:19:05 EST 2002

Not a definitive answer but an informed guess...

If crontab starts while you're still editing the file, or worse, while
you've saved a half-finished crontab file, unexpected and possibly
very bad things will happen.  I'm assuming that crontab -e tells
crontab not to attempt to run the file being edited, although the man
page doesn't state that explicitly.

Working with SMP systems so much immediately made me recognize this as
a potential concurrency/synchronization/clock problem.

By the way, I still remember when I was in the "superstition" phase of
computer knowledge - you don't know why somehting is bad, but you know
it's bad!  Good for you for trying to figure out why.  A lot of these
superstitions are left over from earlier systems and no longer apply.

-VAL (who will be leaving techtalk again pretty soon)