[Techtalk] backup MX trade

Katie Bechtold katie at katie-and-rob.org
Fri Jan 11 16:32:45 EST 2002

I'm not sure whether this is a crazy idea or not, but I'll throw it
out anyway.  I have cable modem service at home (but no longer
@home), and one of the machines on my network is an email server for
my registered domain name.  Every now and then, through either my or
my ISP's incompetence, something happens that makes my server
inaccessible to the outside world.  This doesn't happen very often,
and it usually doesn't last more than a day, but it is kinda
annoying when people writing to me get bounce messages.

So I'm asking if any of you who run your own low-traffic email
server would like to "trade" backup MX service with me.  I know that
there are commercial backup MX services out there, but I think
cooperation could achieve the same result more cheaply for
low-traffic servers.

Or if anybody knows of free backup MX service, I'd be glad to know
about that, too.

--
Katie Bechtold
http://www.katie-and-rob.org/katie/