[Techtalk] Security course (was: Re: C programming "course")

Terri Oda terri at zone12.com
Fri Jan 11 15:10:23 EST 2002

At 10:00 AM 11/01/02 -0800, Linda Laubenheimer wrote:
>I would love to learn more, and take some of the "standard practices"
>and automate them for checking an installation (from the inside), both
>initial config, and periodic audit.  If there are already tools to do
>this, I don't know of them.  As I understand it, even tripwire you have
>to go look at periodically, rather than have something mail you when
>something's "fishy", and it's passive.

I'd also be interested whenever you've got time to run one.  I'm actually
taking a "Network Security & Cryptography" course at the moment, but I
doubt that any one course could cover everything, and learning more would
be awesome, since it's one of those things I feel guilty not knowing more
about (particularly after "my" server got hacked -- I've always told the
other admins that I was relying on them to do security while I dealt with
other things, but that doesn't mean I want to have my head in the sand
forever!)

  Terri