[Techtalk] kernel hacking class

Val Henson val at nmt.edu
Fri Jan 11 00:21:07 EST 2002

Reposted from issues for you techtalkers.

On Thu, Jan 10, 2002 at 11:35:47PM -0600, leslie at freakybutt.net wrote:

> I am very interested in a kernel hacking
> class.... when? where? what? how? is is it going ot be done and what do I
> need to do?

Leslie, you're going to hate this... :) But I'm only willing to do
this on a women-only list.  If that's not your thing, I highly
recommend:

http://www.kernelnewbies.org/

Jeff and Rik and others have done a really good job with this site.

My vision (yep, I'm having lots of visions this week) is a class that
places just as much importance on building independence and
self-confidence as answering your questions.  Don't you just hate it
when you ask for help and someone grabs your keyboard, types in some
gibberish, and runs off again?  The class wouldn't just teach you how
to hack the kernel, it'd also teach you _how to learn_ how to hack the
kernel (but not by kicking you out on your own).

When and where would be the hypothetical grrls-only list, ASAP after
it's been created.  I'd also create web pages for each "lesson" so
that it's easy to do over and over again as new people join.  I think
the real value in this will be having a peer group of girl kernel
hackers to chatter with and be supported by.

-VAL