[Techtalk] Re: [Issues] kernel hacking class

Jeff Dike jdike at karaya.com
Thu Jan 10 23:41:22 EST 2002

akkana at shallowsky.com said:
> I found #kernelnewbies, a very cool IRC channel, but I haven't even
> gotten far enough along to where I can come up with concrete questions
> to ask on the channel.

There's also the kernelnewbies mailing list.  There are pointers to that and
a whole lot of other stuff on kernelnewbies.org.

Val Henson writes:
> One thing I would be very very interested in using the new list for is
> teaching Linux kernel development to women.  I'm lonely!  If you've
> ever thought, "Gee, I'd like to write kernel code, but I don't even
> know where to start," then pipe up and let me know you're interested!

As someone who knows his way around the kernel (I maintain the user-mode
port of Linux, http://user-mode-linux.sf.net), I'd be willing to help out
in any way that's reasonable.  I know a number of other kernel hackers would,
as well.  Rik van Riel would for sure, and so would a number of other
lesser-known but quite competent hackers.

So, if you don't want to hop on the kernelnewbies list for fear of being
singled out by people who are dumbfounded by the notion of female kernel
hackers and insead want to set up a quiet little techtalk-kernelhackers
list, I'd join.  And I can quietly put out feelers to some of the other
hackers who might be interested.

				Jeff