[Techtalk] USB hardware question

Aaron Mulder ammulder at alumni.princeton.edu
Thu Jan 10 11:10:46 EST 2002

	Many motherboard come equipped with a USB controller, but you have
to buy and/or attach a cable to a couple ports in a bracket that fits in
place of an expansion card on your case.  So it may be that you just need
that cable/bracket to use the USB ports on your motherboard.  However,
many USB mice have a little adapter to convert them to PS/2 mice, so just
because the manual mentions USB in the "mouse" section doesn't necessarily
mean it has USB support on the motherboard.
	Is there any way for you to tell whether FreeBSD is detecting the
USB controller on the motherboard or the one on the expansion card (say,
by removing the card and seeing if you get the same message)?

	As for the terminology, I'm no guru, but I think a "USB
controller" is just a chip that provides an interface to the computer.
You generally need some sort of "hub" to plug devices into.  For the ports
on your computer, you generally see entries for the "root hub", which is
just another name for the ports on the back of your PC.  You can, of
course, attach additional "normal" USB hubs to that to handle more
devices.
	"uhci", at least on Linux, is just a category of USB controllers
(as opposed to "ohci"), which includes those made by Intel and Via, among
others.  I guess "usb0" is referring to one of the USB ports the
controller provides, though again if it's a controller on the MB you may
need the bracket to access it.
	On Linux (2.4.16), you can get some (not very friendly) output on
your USB system by running "cat /proc/bus/usb/devices".  Probably
somewhere else on FreeBSD.

Aaron