[Techtalk] Re: [Volunteers] The Techtalk list

Raven Brooke rbrooke at maine.rr.com
Wed Jan 9 21:29:31 EST 2002

Now, let's think about this for a moment.

How many of us technically oriented female people have had to make some
effort to be accepted as "one of us" in our male dominated field?
And now we are suggesting a gender restricted list? I for one find that
very offputting, not to mention sexist. I have been very happy to help
when I could supply a suggestion, and most appreciative for answers
received here. I have not wasted my time on this list speculating about
the gender of the participants.

Practically speaking, where do we draw the line? Would some folks be put
off to find our list hosted on a server kept running by a male sys admin?
Riding on a connection supplied by an ISP that is male owned? And what
about those of our members who are themselves unsure of their gender, are
they allowed to participate?

What difference could it possibly make on which side a collegue's shirt is
buttoned while we all cooperate and behave as respectful peers? My feeling
is that we should be setting an example here of *not* excluiding people
based on gender.

Cheers,

Raven

 -- ***No, I will _not_ fix your webpage.***