[Techtalk] Re: mutt v. the world

Conor Daly conor.daly at oceanfree.net
Thu Jan 3 12:27:26 EST 2002

On Tue, Jan 01, 2002 at 02:59:02PM -0800 or so it is rumoured hereabouts,
Akkana thought:

> But there is one disadvantage of this model: it means that I end
> up composing all my mail over telnet (or rsh or ssh or whatever)
> connections instead of on my local machine, and I'm forever hitting long
> network delays (wait 20+ seconds to see what I just typed).  I've long
> been wanting to come up with a setup so that I can read my mail with
> telnet/mutt, but compose outgoing mail locally (without having to do a
> lot of manual saving and ftp'ing of files).  Surely I'm not the only one
> to have this desire, but I've never seen any mention of a mailer set up
> that way.  Has anyone heard of such a setup?

Probably not quite what you want, but I use mutt locally via IMAP to an MS
Exchange Server ('cos that's what they use at work), compose locally and
use our (*BSD) mail gateway as the SMTP server.  All works swimmingly but
no procmail filtering possible (Though I remember someone on the
mutt-users list talking once about a proposed perl based filtering
solution that would talk IMAP to a server (even an MS one!) (I'd like to
get that working since I have to borrow someone else's MS machine to setup
my MS Exchange filters (They won't enable the web interface, which is
probably no harm since that requires installation of IIS and we all know
what _that_ means...)))

Conor

Domestic Sysadmin :-)