[Techtalk] e-mail programs (was: What I did over the Christmas Holidays!)

Telsa Gwynne hobbit at aloss.ukuu.org.uk
Wed Jan 2 09:37:57 EST 2002

On Tue, Jan 01, 2002 at 08:52:45PM -0800 or thereabouts, jennyw wrote:
> I use mutt occasionally. I suspect that it's something you have to really
> get used to to like.

Very true, and I think this is really important. When I started using
mutt, it was the little things that caught me. They're all changeable
by rebinding the keys, but the keys I would have chosen all seemed
to do weird and wonderful things, and I didn't want to lose those.
It was things like "on quitting the editor, it's 'y' to send, which
is different from elm" were the sort that caught me out at first.

Once I had got _used_ to it, I fell in love with it. I think that
took about a week or ten days: but it was a very long week!

> One thing that GUI e-mail programs have over character
> based ones, for example, is viewing several messages at the same time. I
> guess you could open up multiple Mutt windows in X or using screen, but
> it's not quite the same thing.

I tend to have a couple of windows open, but you're right that it's
not the same. It doesn't bother me, but tastes differ. :)

> I use procmail for filtering, too -- there's no reason you need to use mutt,
> though. I've setup procmail to filter my messages on a computer running UW
> IMAP (I may switch IMAP servers, but it's working now, and I didn't want to
> futz with it).

I think the reason mutt users specifically mention procmail is that
a common feature request was that mutt should sort incoming mail
into folders; and the mutt people had to keep repeating "not mutt's
job".

Can't comment on evolution or imap as I use neither, so I snipped
that part.

Telsa