[Techtalk] Question on distro....

Terri Oda terri at zone12.com
Tue Feb 26 01:55:18 EST 2002

At 03:55 PM 25/02/02 -0600, Ms. Piglet wrote:
>I'm *thinking* that where I want to go is Debian potato, but I wanted to ask
>and see if I'm missing something.  When I was working, my main desktop was
>running Corel which is Debian anyhow, so I guess I'm biased that direction
>already....

Debian should be just fine.  I run it on my machine with much higher stats
but a similarly-sized hard drive partition and I haven't had space
issues.  I have to agree that KDE and Gnome may be bad news with your
processor -- I know the P166 a friend has set up is dreadful with either
window manager.  I'm a big fan of AfterStep myself, but that's largely
because I had major problems with KDE (not speed so much as locking up the
entire laptop to the point where I had to pull the battery and the plug to
shut it off so I could restart... I was *not* impressed, since I've never
even seen windows do that!) and decided to revert to what I used to use
back when 486's were only slightly obsolete. :)

I second Raven in saying that the debian minimal install is *very*
minimal.  The one that got me is that man isn't installed.  All the pages
are there, and I could gzip and cat 'em to my heart's content, but no man
binary!  Very odd and rather silly, in my opinion.

And if you haven't seen the Debian install, let me warn you, it was like
stepping back in time for me -- much more primitive than Redhat's,
anyhow.  Still, as long as you've got all the info for your machine it
shouldn't be a problem.  And, in fact, perhaps your machine is old enough
that some of the auto-detection will actually work.  (My machine, 2.5 years
old now, is completely auto-detected by RH and barely recognized by my
recent debian install.)  Of course, just like the old days, it's possible
to get everything working, just make sure you know about all the hardware
in your machine before you start or you'll be doing a lot of searching as
you go.

  Terri