[Techtalk] Question on distro....

Caitlyn Martin caitlynmaire at earthlink.net
Mon Feb 25 19:24:35 EST 2002

Hi, Megan,

> Hmmm....so if I'm hearing folks correctly, and I really want to keep
> KDE, I should be looking at adding an external hard drive?  Or is that
> an even worse nightmare?

No, it doesn't take that much space.  It's the processor/memory that's
the problem.  KDE 2.2.2 is sluggish on my K6-2 333 MHz system with 96MB
of RAM, so on your laptop it would crawl...stop...wait...wait...crawl...
 Now, on my main system (PII 450MHz, 256MB RAM) KDE 3.0 beta 2 is quite
swift, so you don't absolutely need latest and greatest.  You do need
more than your laptop offers, like a new laptop.

If you can up the memory to at least 48MB I'd go with Gnome.

Sorry, I know that's not the answer you wanted to hear.

All the best,
Caity