[Techtalk] VMWare under Mandrake

Gene Dolgner Gene.Dolgner at ArvinMeritor.com
Thu Feb 14 13:47:48 EST 2002

Greetings,

Please excuse the question if this has been discussed before, I just
joined the group recently.

I'm using a relatively new desktop PC, installed Mandrake 8.0, and then
installed VMWare on top of that to access the Windows-heavy environment
here at work.  However, when I proceed to start up VMWare, I receive the
following message ...

=====
No XFree86 DGA support for this X screen.
XFree86 direct graphics (DGA extension) initialization failed.
=====

VMWare does come up and allows me to "Power On", upon which I receive 2
more messages ...

=====
The virtual machine will not be able to run in full-screen
SVGA mode, because your X server does not support the
XFree86 DGA extension for direct-to-frame-buffer graphics,
or because DGA is supported but the virtual machine cannot
use it.

The high resolution timer is not currently available
(/dev/rtc: No such device).  It is possible that another virtual
machine is using it.  Without the timer, Windows 98 will not
keep time correctly and animated menus will appear sluggish.
However, other guest OSes will not be affected.
=====

After the messages, Windows comes up fine, but in a small window with
low resolution.  Usable, but irritating.

I've investigated what I know of XFree86 configuration (which I'll admit
is not much), looked through the available documentation and searched
the Web for answers, but have found little or nothing on this.  Those
who have found this problem in the past have appeared to given up in
frustration.

Any help you can give would be much appreciated.

Thanx in advance,
Gene Dolgner