[Techtalk] Kernel modules problem--Help! Anyone!

bsweeney bsweeney at physics.ucsb.edu
Mon Feb 11 15:47:48 EST 2002

Beth,

Let me prompt this by saying I have no clue what's wrong, but I'm
figuring if I ask some questions the answers might shed some light.  So
here goes:

1) When you installed the kernel, I assume you used the RPM?  Did you
use up2date?  if not, did you rpm -U for upgrade or just -i for install?
2) Did you happen to install their debugging kernel as well?
3) Did you install the kernel-source package as well?
4) Are you positive the upgrade went through; ie, have you uname -a to
make sure it's running 2.4.9-21?  Do you have a /lib/modules/2.4.9-21
directory?
5) Can you try running the mkinitrd with the -v flag to see if that
gives more information?
6) Can you run modprobe -c and modprobe -l to check your configuration?
7) Any other weird problems with the system?  Errors in the logs
(hardware, etc)?

I'm baffled by this.  The only time I've seen an error of "No module
blah found for kernel bleh" is when I tried mkinitrd on a system where
the drivers for the scsi card were not compiled as modules (doh).
Insmod itself I don't believe functions as a module at all, and in any
case mkinitrd is only supposed to attempt to load block devices modules
(IDE, SCSI, etc.).  Is there anything funny perhaps in your
/etc/modules.conf file (I think anything that's in there will show up
with the modprobe -c command above)?

I suppose as a temporary workaround you could rebuild a custom kernel
with everything you needed compiled directly in instead of using modules.

Sorry I couldn't be more helpful. :(

-Brian