[Techtalk] serverless IP assignment?

Michelle Murrain tech at murrain.net
Mon Feb 11 18:08:05 EST 2002

At 11:41 AM 2/11/2002, Malcolm wrote:
>I've considered having the first machine to boot declare itself a dchp
>server, but there's no way of stopping two machines booting simultaneously
>and both declaring themselves the server.

Wouldn't it make the most sense resource-wise, etc. to figure out a way to
determine what box is the DHCP server, and then go from there, instead of
having each box search for it's IP address?

What about this idea: Box starts up, it pings an address (say 192.168.1.1)
and if that address responds, it get's it IP address from that box, which
is the DHCP server. If it doesn't get a response, it waits a bit longer,
tries again. If it still doesn't get a response, it then calls itself
192.168.1.1 and starts up the DHCP server.

You might incorporate a random wait period, so that if two servers were
turned on at the same exact time, they would be unlikely to start up their
DHCP servers at the same time.

.Michelle

Michelle Murrain
tech at murrain.net