[Techtalk] serverless IP assignment?

Malcolm rannirl-lc at otherkin.net
Mon Feb 11 12:41:56 EST 2002

I have a collection of embedded system boxes (essentially they are PCs in a
box). They need to be networked together. However, in the environment in
which they will be used, there is no server box and so no way of centralised
IP assignment. IPs have to be assigned automatically.

Is there any better way than:
- pick an IP in the subnet range at random
- ping it to see if anyone else responds to it
- if no one does keep it
- check for collisions to make sure no one else grabbed it at the
  same time you did.

and if not, does anyone know of existing code to do this, or should I
just write my own script?

I've considered having the first machine to boot declare itself a dchp
server, but there's no way of stopping two machines booting simultaneously
and both declaring themselves the server.

Thanks.

--
Beauty carved in flesh
Desire set in stone.

<<  This email is monitored by the US government under the auspice  >>
<< of the USA act. For private communication, ask me for my PGP key >>