[Techtalk] dd copy of 75 GB disk to 80 GB disk

Malcolm rannirl-lc at otherkin.net
Fri Feb 8 11:18:59 EST 2002

On Thursday 07 February 2002 08:17 am, Helen Katz wrote:

> We have a bad IBM 75 Gb disk , which , at last,
> IBM is willing to replace it with a new type of 80 GB.
> Can I do :
>  dd if=/dev/hda of=/dev/hdb conv=noerror,sync
> and keep all my info. intact ?
> Or is a problem with the different size ?

The size isn't a problem, we've done this where I work. You loose access to
the extra space (as far as I know, though it's possible you might be able to
make a small partition to fill it without breaking anything I haven't tried
it). It works fine though.

--
Beauty carved in flesh
Desire set in stone.

<<  This email is monitored by the US government under the auspice  >>
<< of the USA act. For private communication, ask me for my PGP key >>