[Techtalk] Linux and Kids

Davis, Jennifer JDavis at JUSTICE.GC.CA
Tue Feb 5 11:52:58 EST 2002

I am trying to get my godson to use the computer for more than just on-line
chequers & chess.  He's 10, so I guess it could be worse.  He could be
playing unintellectual games or playing on chat lines.

Anyhow, he draws comics about his pets as superheroes.  They are very funny
and reveal a surprising level of sophistication (Villains are rats who wear
suits & ties, police are nuisances, [conservative] politicians are corrupt).
What I hope to do is develop a video game with these characters.  It all
depends on what level of skill I can develop.  His job is to do the artwork.
It will require him to draw, scan and use the GIMP (I moved his mom's
computer to Linux over the holidays).

With any luck, he will want to help with the coding.  He is gifted and I
would like for him to learn early and have more choices when he gets older.
I learned to program in 1981 when I got a VIC-20 when I was the same age as
he is now.  I regret so much losing interest in computers during adolescence
and my 20s.

Jenn

-----Original Message-----
From: James [mailto:james at james-web.net]
Sent: 2002 Feb 04 6:59 PM
To: 'Megan Golding'; 'Tech Talk'
Subject: RE: Linux and Kids (Was Re: [Techtalk] My own Linux/Unix
bookquestion...)

Unfortunately, kids these days seem to enjoy commerical Rug Rats and
Barbie, none of which are produced for Linux (usually...).

I think half the thing with kids and computers is that they are able to
extend their interest in something into computers.  For example, my
sister never really used the computer until she started liking this one
music group and started following their fan sites.  Then, we had to pry
her off of it with a crowbar.  Granted something like using a web
browser is available across any platform, but however things like Barbie
Fashion Studio that kids like are Windows only.

- James