[Techtalk] simple reference book on C++

Davis, Jennifer JDavis at JUSTICE.GC.CA
Mon Feb 4 10:03:09 EST 2002

My big mistake was using the gcc command to compile rather than the g++.
Since then I have been breezing through my book.  Since I already learned to
program basic & pascal as a kid, the early chapters on variables & functions
are simple and straightforward.  I am moving into classes and it is starting
to get challenging.  I just can't get my head around it yet.  I assume that
in a couple more days, I'll be fine.

Jenn

-----Original Message-----
From: Kathryn Hogg [mailto:kjh at flyballdogs.com]
Sent: 2002 Jan 31 11:24 PM
To: techtalk at linuxchix.org
Subject: RE: [Techtalk] simple reference book on C++

> To compile:
>
> g++ -ohello hello.c

I recommend that people keep C & C++ files with different extensions. ".c"
is traditional for C.  I recommend .cc for C++ even though we've used .C
for about 12 years.  Some OS's don't really have case sensitive file
extensions which can be a real pain. Renaming files is not always that easy
especially when you are using CVS.  I like different file extensions to
help out make because not all C code can compile with C++.