[Techtalk] Re: [Newchix] help!

Katie Bechtold katie at katie-and-rob.org
Sat Feb 2 14:13:44 EST 2002

On Sat, Feb 02, 2002 at 09:39:30AM +1100, Mary Gardiner wrote:
> You need to boot into Linux and then run LILO and that's it? OK, there
> are two ways.

Okay, I've made a little bit of progress.  I picked up a Tom's Root/Boot diskette that I had laying around and booted with that.  Using that, I could get to a shell prompt and mount my Linux partitions (under /rootpart).  Then I did this:

/# lilo -r /rootpart/
Map segment is too big.
/#

I'm not familiar with this map segment stuff -- could someone give me a pointer?

Also, that was running with the lilo on the Tom's Root/Boot floppy.  When I try to run the lilo on my hard disk, I get this:

/# ls -l /rootpart/sbin/lilo
-rwxr-xr-x   1 root     root        59324 Aug 23  2000  /rootpart/sbin/lilo
/# /rootpart/sbin/lilo -r /rootpart/
/rootpart/sbin/lilo: not found

I don't understand how that can be.

I can provide my /rootpart/etc/lilo.conf and my partition setup if that would help; I haven't included it here because I don't want to do any unnecessary re-typing.

Katie