[Techtalk] RPMS vs. SRPMS vs. source

Glen Strom gstrom at eol.ca
Thu Dec 26 15:19:01 EST 2002

On Thu, 26 Dec 2002 10:28:37 -0500
Brenda Bell <k15a-list-linuxchix at theotherbell.com> wrote:

> single right way of doing things... but I'm curious as to how other
> people approach keeping their systems up-to-date without getting
> confused.  I keep accurate notes on what I've done, but somehow that
> doesn't seem to be enough and I often feel like I'm backing myself
> into a corner as I try to keep track of all of the dependencies.

Recently, I started using a program called "checkinstall." After you
build an app from source, checkinstall can convert it into an rpm. (It
can also build slackware and debian packages). Although checkinstall has
some limitations, I've found it to be effective for almost everything
I've tried.

You can find it here:

http://asic-linux.com.mx/~izto/checkinstall/

--