[Techtalk] Re: iptables help needed ...

Raven Alder raven at oneeyedcrow.net
Fri Dec 20 01:59:48 EST 2002

Heya --

Quoth txjulie at austin.rr.com (Thu, Dec 19, 2002 at 10:41:46PM -0600):
> On Tuesday I tried to switch from ipchains to iptables for a
> firewall.  Apparently I did something very wrong because last
> night I got hacked and root-kitted and all sorts of bad things.

	Any idea of how it happened?  (Root's .bash_history or
something?  Signatures in the logs?)  Knowing how they got in will
help prevent it happening again.  A good firewall is a thing of
beauty, but if the service they exploited is one that's allowed
through the firewall then you're still in trouble.

> I'd love to send y'all the iptables rules I used, but I had to
> reinstall this thing -- I didn't want to risk backing up my
> new files only to include my new rootkit infestation ...

	Yeah -- levels of appropriate paranoia.  [grins]  Hope you had
recent backups.

> So ... could y'all be so kind as to help?  Please?  I feel
> like a dope ;-(

	Sure.  What is going to be behind the firewall, what did you
want to let through, and what did you want to keep out?

Cheers,
Raven

"I'm cursed/blessed/strange about that, I guess."
  -- Rick, regarding his affinity for foreign-policy geeks